SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:23:40 -0500
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Jeffrey Anderson wrote:

> --089e013d0db08caeb504e8e18c7a
>
> It seems to me that the "environment-modules" package available from EPEL
> can address many of your needs.
>
> We use it to provide access to multiple versions of python, gcc, boost, gsl
> and many other tools and libraries, all without interfering with necessary
> system-level operations.  It is quite flexible, has a relatively low
> learning curve, and is widely used.  It allows users to easily switch back
> and forth between different versions of these tools.
>
> Need python 2.7.2?
> 'module load python/2.7.2'
>
> Want to switch to 2.6.4?
> 'module switch python/2.6.4'
>
> Want to go back to the default system python?
> 'module unload python'
>
> and so on.
>
> Jeff

TUV and thus SL has had the technology known as "Software Collections"
available in SL6 since 6.2 .
Software Collections installs packages in /opt/rh and thus preserves the base
packages.  It provides a utility , scl , to "enable" these software
collections.

TUV and thus SL has released "Devtoolset"  which provides newer GCC via
"Software Collections".

Recently TUV and thus SL released "Software Collections" (uses scl but more
than that) that provides

   mariadb55
   postgresql92
   ruby193
   mysql55
   python27
   nodejs010
   python33
   perl516
   php54

A README with info about yum repos for these packages is available from
ftp://sldist.fnal.gov/linux/scientific/6x/external_products/softwarecollections/README

More info from TUV is available at
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/

Note that Oleg responded to this thread with this info a few days ago.

The Software Collection python27 solves this problem completely.

-Connie Sieh