SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:26:28 +0300
Hi Mattias,

I think, it's not very easy, but it's possible.

The main problem -- braille terminal is line oriented, like teletype.

At the ancient Unix times we had a whole system, including installation
process, teletype ready.

Now user interface screen oriented everywhere, not only in graphical
user environments, but in text interface too. It's a common place for
modern operating systems, and for Linux distributions too. Old good Unix
command line is accessible, but only after the screen oriented
installation.

A short time ago we began discuss the possibility of adoption of
Scientific Linux for blind persons with a Sankt-Petersburg branch "All
Russia Association of the Blind (VOS)", but all works in very
preliminary stage now.

I think, the most adequate solution for the line oriented installation
is a kickstart technology. You may use a common text configuration file,
with a full description of installation options, including the disk
partitioning. Creating of such file is not very easy job, but if someone
may to help you install Linux with a screen oriented installer, you may
use a kickstart file generated by anaconda-installer like a skeleton for
other installations.

Best regards!
Oleg