SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:35:25 -0400
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 03/13/2011 07:46 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Usually md devices are renamed/renumbered when "/etc/mdadm.conf" has
>> "HOMEHOST<system>" set and the metadata in the superblock has a
>> different homehost value.
>
> The file /etc/mdadm.conf does not exist on the LiveCD. Therefore the md
> devices should not be renamed...?
>
> Bluejay, do you see /etc/mdadm.conf, if you boot your system with the
> LiveCD?

I've checked the Live CD that I have and it doesn't have
"/etc/mdadm.conf". The install that I made with the Live CD does have
one though, which I find confusing because I thought (incorrectly it
seems) that a Live CD install is made from the same image as the Live
CD itself. It doesn't have "HOMEHOST<system>" but it is set to
automount some arrays.

I don't know through what mechanism arrays are renamed when they are
assembled on a "foreign" box and *stay*renamed* when are re-assembled
on the "home" box. I know that it's happened to me and others with
more than one distribution and that the resolution is to boot from a
rescue disk, run "hostname <host>", and assemble the array(s) with
"--update=homehost".