SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:51:00 -0800
On 11/07/2014 06:14 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 03:35:51PM -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>
>> I think that SL 6.x was usable as a workstation, even though
>> it has its legs somewhat broken.  But SL 7 is now really
>> only useful as a server.
>>

> I do not see how this follows. You do not show any example where SL7 is worse than SL6,
> i.e. package not available in SL7, or SL7 package is older than SL6, etc.

Goodness Konstantin!  Did you miss the part about Wine under SL7
not running 32 bit Windows programs?  And the part about Xfce
missing a ton of plugins that SL 6.5 has?  And the
part about all the favorite utilities still being on the
old versions, bugs and all?  Did you miss the part about
SL 7 being 64 bit only?

My only point was that the new SL 7 had become a bad match to
use as a workstation.  From what I can tell, SL7 is now an
even better server.

> If you compare with Fedora, you should include the small print spelling out "* Fedora has to be reinstalled every 6 months"
> and "** each new Fedora comes with new features even if you do not want them".

Yes and no.  To upgrade Fedora, run

# rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/246110C1.txt
# yum update yum
# yum clean all
# yum --releasever=21 distro-sync

It is very, very simple.  And no one forces you to upgrade.

On the other hand, SL 6.x to SL 7.0 is a full wipe and reinstall,
similar to the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Wiping might not be a such bad thing -- removes all the
accumulated junk.

> If you compare with Ubuntu, you should mention that "learning Debian system
 > management tools is required. yum, rpm not available, etc"

I don't get it.  I never said a word about Ubuntu.  (I don't care
for it, but I don't remember saying a thing about it.)

> If you talk about firefox, my SL7 test machine has firefox-31.2.0-3.el7_0.x86_64
 > (vs firefox-31.2.0-3.el6_6.x86_64 on SL6, the same version).
>
> It looks to me like yum updates of your SL7 machine are broken and you are not seeing or getting any updated packages.

Apparently, CentOS 7 beat SL to the punch.  I found the updates in
CentOS' pbone.net, but did not find them in SL's.

Speaking of pbone, they are dragging their feet adding SL 7's repos
to their mix.  They have RHEL 7 and CentOS 7.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.