SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:52:40 -0600
I'm looking for recommendations for rock solid
RM systems to run SL3.  When the simulation
farm is cranking, these will be running hard
almost non-stop for weeks.  I need something
that just keeps running.  The whole system
with 2GB RAM and 80GB or so should come in
under $1500 (closer to $1K would be ideal).
I prefer AMD processors (don't care if it's
Athalon, Opteron, or what).  but if I have
to go Intel to get the reliability I will.
Looking for the most bang for the buck, not
the fastest possible processor.

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

A vendor has recommended the SuperMicro
A+ Server 1010S-MR (Super H8SSL-i mobo,
based on the ServerWorks HT-1000 chipset).
Do any of you have experience with this
running SL3 (or RHEL3)?

Some of our tool vendors require RHEL3,
which is why we use SL3 and not SL4.