SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Robert Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:04:22 -0400
     Hello to all. I am new to Linux and have had a problem getting
replies recently to a thread I posted. Let me say now that I am really
not sure if this is where I should be asking for help, but I have no
other ideas on what to do. I am not trying to cause trouble nor violate
any rules. I'm simply a newbie that would love to have more help and
direction to get Scientific Linux v 6.4 installed and working.
     The thread is posted on the Scientific Linux Forum under "New Linux
users questions." My name for the user is benjie1  I first posted on
April 8, and the title of the thread is "Can't login to gnome or kde in
SL 64." After the first post on the 8th, I received replies very
promptly until April 11. That was the last reply. I have posted several
times asking for help on the same problem and giving more output and
answering questions that were asked of me. Never did I double post, nor
use foul language, nor violate any of the rules, as far as I know.
     At this point, I am hoping that someone can guide me as to what I
should do so I can use SL 64. I have seen it on a friends PC and it
looks great. The basic problem I have is that after a successful
install, there is no GUI where I can log in, and no keyboard or mouse.
All I can do is use Ctl+Alt+F2 and get a command line and login as root.
The posts in the thread will show what I have done and then I can try
again if I receive some guidance. I realize that all these gurus are
volunteers and I respect that. What surprises me is why the sudden
stoppage of all replies. What did I do?
     If this email has violated any rules or caused any problems I
sincerely apologize. As I said, I have no way to know what to do in
order to get SL 6.4 working. This is all I hope to accomplish eventually.
     Thanks very much to all those who may be able to help. I will do my
best to follow suggestions that are made and hope to get this working.
Thanks in advance for everything.

Bob Benjamin