SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 14:28:35 -0500
On 11/05/2014 06:36 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> A few days ago an updated linux kernel and updated xorg packages were
> pushed into the SL6 updates. These updates are automatically installed
> by the default yum configuration of SL6.5.
>
> Unfortunately these updates are incompatible with pre-installed X11 video
> drivers for NVIDIA (GeForce 210) and AMD/ATI (AMD E-350/E-450 and socket AM1
> on-board video) from ELREPO.
>
> These are the ELREPO kmod-fglrx and kmod-nvidia packages.
>
> So all computers with these video cards promptly broke.
[snip]

Many (>7) years ago I gave up on "outsourcing" my NVIDIA proprietary driver needs and wrote my own init.d script that installs/removes/kmod-updates the nvidia driver using nvidia's .run files.  Yes, there are a few things to be concerned about with some xorg updates stepping on files, but all easily fixable and under *my* control and has served me well.  Trying various versions is fairly simple (telinit 3, uninstall, move new version to /root/, install, telinit 5).  My update processes are heavily scripted as well.  And yes, I test some common configs before releasing to 150+ workstations of various configurations.  It is not easy.

Admittedly, I'm a control freak with good scripting skills...a dangerous combination.