SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2005

From:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Widyono <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:51:22 -0500
> But you know, I have serious questions that RHEL _is_ open source.

While I feel for your consternation, I do not agree that "RHEL _is_ open
source".  They repackage, maintain, and distribute open source applications
and an open source kernel.  Their process is not an open source process,
however, it's a corporate process.  That's neither good nor bad, here nor
there.

> And why support RH? I'd rather spend my time working on Debian or Gentoo or
> some other distros that _are_ two-way, open source.

Go for it!  Vive la difference!

So, I suppose the summary point of your rant, which I don't believe you
included, is that Fermi et al. should be redistributing something other than
Red Hat?  If that is not your point, please let me know what end result you
wish to come out of this discussion on the _Fermi SL_ mailing list.

Regards,
Dan W.