SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
"Andrey Y. Shevel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 05:07:55 -0400
Did you check the content of the directory /etc/smrsh ?

Andrey

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:33:09 +0100
> From: Anne Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Gerald Waugh <[log in to unmask]>,
>     SL Users <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Procmail problem

> On 21/08/12 20:02, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>>
>> On 08/21/2012 01:50 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> For reasons not relevant to this list, I've been using GMail to
>>> read my mail for a while, so I hadn't noticed that my local mail
>>> server now has big problems.
>>
>>> I see mail arriving there in maillog, and my .forward file
>>> passes it to procmail - but procmail appears to be not doing its
>>> stuff - the messages aren't being delivered at all.
>>
>>> What could be wrong?
>>
>>> Anne
>> What is in  your .procmailrc $HOME/.procmailrc
>>
> Thanks for answering.  .procmailrc is a restored file that worked
> perfectly before - I'll give you the details if you still want to see
> it after reading this.
>
> Digging around in logs I found that there have been some problems with
> perl updates - and I assume that procmail is a perl app.  It seems
> likely that I messed things up when setting repo priorities, so I set
> out to clean things up.
>
> First I removed the packages that wouldn't update, keeping a list so
> that I can restore them as soon as I have the problem sorted, and
> tweaked the priorities of rpmforge, since that seems to be the one
> that was missing out.  At first I thought that had done it, as I got a
> clean list of updates about to perform.  Unfortunately, I then got a
> transaction error -
>
> file /sbin/extlinux from install of syslinux-4.05-1.el6.rfx.x86_64
> conflicts with file from package syslinux-extlinux-4.02-4.el6.x86_64
>
> If I try to update the remaining packages as they stand at present I get
>
> Error: glibc-2.12-1.25.el6.i686 (sl)
>  Requires: glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6
>  Installed: glibc-common-2.12.1.47.el6_2.5.x86_64 (@sl-security)
>    glibc-common = 2.12.1.47.el6_2.5
>  Available: glibc-common-2.12-1.25.el6.x86_64 (sl)
>    glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6
>
> I thought of removing glibc, again, to instantly re-install, to ensure
> I got the right version, but that promises to remove hundreds of
> packages, so I abandoned that idea.
>
> By now I am completely out of my depth.  Is it possible to repair this
> system, or would be simpler to just abandon it, and try a clean
> install, setting up everything afresh?  I hate to be beaten, but a
> broken system is a liability.
>
> Anne

NAME: Andrey Y. Shevel (Chevel) :  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]  \
Computing Systems Department    :     http://hepd.pnpi.spb.ru/CSD     |
TEL : +7(81371)36040 | POST ADDRESS: Petersburg Nuclear Physics Inst. |
FAX : +7(81371)36040 | 188300, Gatchina, Leningrad district, Russia.  |