SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:56:47 +0900
Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 7:23 AM, Emanuele Leonardi
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I just installed SL5 on a file server with pre-existing reiserfs partitio
>> ns
>> which I want to preserve.
>>
>> According to the man page, reiserfs is supported by mount but when I give
>>
>> the command I get the following error:
>>
>>> mount -t reiserfs /dev/sda1 /mnt
>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'reiserfs'
>>
>> Also, if I issue the lsmod command, reiserfs is not listed.
>>
>> What is the correct way to enable reiserfs support under SL5?

RH has never supported reiserfs (and it's no longer the default offered
by SUSE).

>> Thank you
>>
>>             Emanuele Leonardi
>
> The upstream's kernel does not have reiserfs enabled. You will need to
> enable it and recompile the kernel.  In make menuconfig (or make
> xconfig), go to File systems and check Reiserfs support (M).  Or, edit
> the .config file and change the "# CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is not set" line
> to "CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m"

Preferably, use one of the make config choices; I've taken to .config
with vim on occasion, and there's sometimes consequences.

You will also need (absolutely need) the reiserfs toolset. It seems to
me from reports I've seen that reiserfs is a little fragile, and you
really need the ability to fsck it.

Probably, CentOS has all of what you need in one of its repos, and they
are compatible with RHEL and so SL.

--

Cheers
John