SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:48:22 -0400
On 07/25/2013 01:28 AM, David G.Miller wrote:
> The problem of upgrading from FC-n to FC-n+1 is basically the same as
> upgrading EL-n to EL-n+1.

No; upgrading ELx to ELx+1 is like upgrading Fn to Fn+k(x), where k(x)
is an element of an array of integer constants; x is the starting EL
release, so k(3)=3 [RHEL3 was based on what I'm going to call 'Fedora
Core 0,' which was the pre-fedora RHL 10 beta; see footnote 1]; k(4)=3,
k(5)=6 (or 7, since some F13 packages showed up in EL6), and k(6) will
probably be 7 or so.

Doing this without going stepwise through the Fedora releases is a
challenge.  I forget how large of an increment preupgrade can do, but I
remember doing it F12 to F13 to F14, and it had issues even going Fn to
Fn+1, especially if any part of the massive yum transaction fails for
any reason (it leaves the system with a half completed yum transaction
that yum-complete-transaction simply won't deal with, and then you have
to finish the upgrade manually and manually remove the older
packages).... I have done this twice on two separate machines, one had
issues going from F12 to F13 and the other one had issues going from F13
to F14.  The Fn to Fn+1 upgrade path is somewhat expected to work; Fn to
Fn+2 probably won't work correctly, especially if major changes are in
both releases.

To get an EL5 system up to EL6 stepwise with yum, the only semi-sane way
would be to upgrade EL5 (FC6 or so based) to F7, then to F8, then to F9,
then to F10, then to F11, then to F12, and you might maybe possibly be
able to get F12 up to EL6 reasonably easily. That's a k(5) of 6; EL6 to
EL7 may be a bit harder, with a k(6) of 7 (assuming EL7 really does get
based off of F19).

This of course goes through the KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.3 upgrade, so there's a
very big difference if you're a KDE user.....

Having said that, back in the days when I was a user of Aurora SPARC
Linux on some Sun Ultra hardware, yum upgrades were the norm, since
install media wasn't spun for every release.  And it was not a single,
simple yum transaction; certain packages had to be upgraded before
others, and some had to be parachuted in with rpm.  And some things
were, well, pretty difficult to deal with on a couple of the increments.

In the Ubuntu world, this is like taking Ubuntu LTS 6.06 straight to
8.04, or worse.  I've done the 6.06 to 8.04 thing, by the way, and have
no desire to repeat it.

In the Windows world.... well, there's actually several Youtube videos
of that, and it's hilarious what had to be done to get a Windows 1.0
install upgraded through every step to Windows 7 and 8. And the
artifacts left behind..... [2][3]

Upgrades are hard to do properly, especially in a non-engineered system
like a Linux distribution (I know, I know, upstream has engineers
working on it and doing integration, but as long as there are packages
whose own upstream is outside of TUV's control, it's not an engineered
distribution in the strict sense.....).  (What I want is the 'Redneck'
language back for installs........)

>  I wouldn't want to guarantee that an arbitrarily complex installation
> will work though and the people who really want to upgrade are those
> with really complex systems that they don't want to have to re-create
> from a clean installation.

Heh.  Try doing the upgrade with yum alone from EL4 to EL5 (or EL5 to
EL6) on a server with an active PostgreSQL database.  For that matter,
try using the unsupported 'upgradeany' anaconda boot argument and watch
your working database go bye-bye.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Relationship_to_free_and_community_distributions
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY-UHdswFkg  (note the length! and
goes to 8)
[3]
http://rasteri.blogspot.com/2011/03/chain-of-fools-upgrading-through-every.html
(note that the video is somewhat NSFW due to some text that is entered.....)