SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:31:52 -0400
When I set these boxes up a long time ago - was asked if I wanted a "grub"
passwd,  I just blew on by it.  I started a long time ago using Unix System
V,  BDS 4.2,  RedHat 7.1, and finally SL and never thought I needed one.

I just checked the box down the hall running Susi 9.2 and it does not have
a "grub" passwd and the root passwd worked perfectly a few hours ago.
My only complaint is that when the failure happened it asked for the "root
passwd" and it did not work.   It accepted it and  It was pretty clear from
the error messages that it was looking for something other than what it asked
for!!
I restarted the system and put in bogus passwds and was able to enter 3 before
it dropped me back to the service prompt.  That still works like it should.
This is a minor nit but a big pain in the posterior if it happens on a busy
day.  Since we are a for profit organization - every minute counts.
When I get a test box put together I will try the "rescue" boot option again.
To assume that the hardware fault was caused by and intruder and disable the
root passwd is nuts.  That is why we have root passwd on a system.   We lock
up door to the server room.   Have keys on the boxes to prevent unauthorized
access and the building is locked at night.

Larry Linder