SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:39:52 +0100
On 16/04/11 20:34, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
> On 04/16/2011 08:13 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Until recently, I've only been using the
>> system-config-securitylevel-tui utility, because it's easy to use
>> while covering all my needs.
>>
>> Now I have to switch to a manual iptables configuration, because 1)
>> the system-config-securitylevel-tui utility has been "dumbed" down,
>> and 2) some of the things I want to do need a more fine-grained control.
>>
>> What's the most "orthodox" (e. g. clean) solution to configure
>> iptables manually (in a script, somewhere) with SL ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niki Kovacs
> A custom script. Very nice how to for RH and Fedora could be find here:
>
> http://fedoraunity.org/Members/kanarip/iptables-howto

Yes, definitely easiest to control iptables with a short/simple script IMHO.

Also take a look at the CentOS Wiki iptables howto page which shows in
detail how to implement such a script:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables

Once you've created your script, making changes to your firewall are as
simple as making a quick edit to the script in your favourite text
editor and (re)running the script.