SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:24:57 -0600
Greetings,

I have a SL6.6 server I built for a specific application. 99% of this
app is command line, however, one specific aspect of this app requires a
gui to use.

When I built this server I wanted it as lean as possible so I built it
with a minimal server install. Because the app acts funny when X
forwarded over SSH, I tossed on a vnc server and a wrapper script to
auto-start the app. It works!

The issue is that the app pops up in a tiny window and you can't move it
or scale it or anything else I tried. :-(

Well, I know why. X11 doesn't have a proper windowing manager which is
usually responsible for window borders. X11 is just the frame work. The
question is, how do I get borders without installing a full desktop?

I tried installing the group package "x11" but that didn't help.
I tried matchbox, but that didn't work.
I tried installing the group package for the "Ice Desktop", but that
didn't help.

I tried installing as little of Gnome as I could without installing a
bunch of junk like pulseaudio and NetworkManager (Both are great on my
laptop...but not on this server), and that just added a ton of clutter
and still didn't work.

I spent an hour bumming around on the Internet installing every package
I could find recommended and I still can't get borders around the
application.

I know it isn't my script or my app. If I run the script/app on a system
with a full gnome install, it works. I just don't want a full Gnome (or
any major desktop) install on this server.

Can anyone help me figure out which package I need?

Thanks!
~Stack~