SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
John Lauro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Lauro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:59:09 -0500
To use LABEL=,

e2label /dev/sdb1 backup

Then in /etc/fstab
instead of having /dev/sdb1, put in LABEL=backup

or you can say something like:
mount LABLE=backup /backup

Looks cleaner then ugly UUID numbers to me, especially if you put a different disk in there each time.

It has the advantage of being able to use the same entry for different disks if you commonly rotate media and want to name them all backup.  That is a assuming that only one backup system is in in place at a time...  otherwise you will have to give each disk a different label.