SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:06:19 -0500
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> > ... T2xxx to T7xxx ...
>> >
>> > Does anyone know about future kernel processor requirements,
>> > or what RHEL 8, 9, ... might demand from hardware?
>> >
>> > I am slowly converting my running machines from SL5.5/6.5 and
>> > Gnome2 to SL7 and Mate, with inadequate progress notes at
>> >   http://wiki.keithl.com/SL7
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:28:06PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Given that they're going to have to run systemd, and that they're
>> still dealing with Gnome bloat if you need graphics, Assume that
>> every major release is roughly 30% more CPU and RAM than the
>> previous release, and you won't be too far off.
>
> Indeed, except Mate is seemingly less bloated.  If not, Cinnamon?
> When I saw all-singing, all-dancing, tablet-optimized Gnome 3,
> replacing it with Mate was the first priority.  Bleah.
>
> If systemd is a major resource hog, then our high-performance-
> machine comrades will come up with something that leaves more
> CPU cycles for doing computation over the next decade.  I hope.
> Zillion-CPU computing is intolerant of expensive waste.  If RH
> someday insists on intolerable resource misuse, we are in the
> right community for a mutiny and a new direction.

The difficulty is that it's creeping into levels and components that
didn't ask for it and don't need it, and thus becoming even more
bloated, With extraneous binary logging, and the tools to decode the
binary logging into something useful, with dbus integration and the
latest round of multiple ring integration for Fedora applications,
it's wedging it's bulky way into places that had no need of it.

Much like Gnome based requirements for the NetworkManager
infrastructure to support graphical configuraiton of VPN tools, it's
just bloating and bloating and bloating unnecessarily.