SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:24:20 +0200
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Paul A. Rombouts wrote:
>
>> May I make a request for a package that allows the PC speaker to beep
>> again on SL 40?
>

> In GNOME, I suppose this is possible to do by going to Sound &
> Video::Volume Control (gnome-volume-control to run it from command line)
> and remove the mute the "PC Speaker" (and increasing its volume).
>

> I am sending a small screenshot attached.

I had already solved this problem for myself. After some googling I
found that inserting "insmod pcspkr" or "modprobe pcspkr" in an
appropriate startup script makes the PC speaker work again for me.
Actually I don't need this anymore, I compiled the PC speaker driver
into the kernel and it no longer needs to be loaded as a module.

I haven't tried your solution yet, but I suspect it only works if you
start X and GNOME or gnome-volume-control, and not in console-only mode.

I just think that a "SL_pc_speaker.noarch.rpm" package would be a much
more user-friendly solution for many users. I think I might even write
one myself if enough people are interested.

--
Paul Rombouts