SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2012

From:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:18:19 -0700
On 2012-03-26, at 8:10 AM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:38:31AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>>
>> ... similar ARM distro ...
>> http://www.redsleeve.org/
>>

> But this is very theoretical as there are no common ARM hardware to run on. (links to newegg, please!)
>
> But this is very useful as we move from embedded Intel to embeded ARM (embedded Intel=CPU+NB+SB+eth
> chips; embedded ARM=synthesised CPU inside an FPGA or real CPU inside an FPGA+, RAM, maybe+separate eth chip).
>
> --
> Konstantin Olchanski
> Data Acquisition Systems: The Bytes Must Flow!
> Email: olchansk-at-triumf-dot-ca
> Snail mail: 4004 Wesbrook Mall, TRIUMF, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 2A3, Canada

Hello!

As an example of a platform that seems to be getting a lot of attention and possibly very good distribution worldwide, Raspberry Pi is a small, cheap ARM computer the size of a credit card. I can see scientific linux being a boon for educators who choose RaspPi as a platform.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Currently, there is huge demand, so the board sold out quickly, but there is plenty of information at the site. Of particular note is the fact that the Raspberry Pi foundation is a not-for-profit UK charity, intending to bring computing to schools and education in order to increase the number of programmers worldwide.

Allied Electronics and Element 14 seem to be the current distributors.

-Chris