SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:51:21 +0100
Hi

Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
> This question had been posted a week ago, but seems to have disappeared
> along the way.  Since I'm still looking for the answer, I'm reposting.
>
> I now know how to create a new initrd.img after modifying its pcitable
> file to include the Initio scsi controller (which runs my scsi CD drive).
> But I don't have a CD burner, so I can't just replace the original
> initrd.img with the modified one.  The new initrd.img resides at present
> in the /tmp directory of the computer hard drive's linux partition.
>
> During the first part of the install of SL 4.2, how does one tell the pro-
> cess to look for the new initrd.img not on the install CD, but at a loca-
> tion on the hard drive?  Do I need to place a copy of vmlinuz there as
> well?

You cannot really do that (without modifying the boot CD): but you can
boot firectly from installation kernel and your modified initrd using
either grub (or loadlin if your files are on an FAT partition) from an
installed system.

Just add these to your bootloader config.

The main weakness of this method is that it can be used only once
(if you overwrite during installation the partition on which
initrd/vmlinuz and bootloader are and sthg fails in the process) ..

Instead I would suggest you looking at ddiskit:

http://people.redhat.com/linville/ddiskit/

which allows easy building of additional driver disks
which can be used during installation.

Cheers

Jarek

__