SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:54:11 -0500
Hi,
I see two things that might be problems, first memory, second, the
processor.

If you are installing on a system with very little memory, you need to
do it in text mode.  Graphics mode just takes too much memory that is
needed elsewhere in the installer.

It also will not install on the original pentiums, which are considered
i586.  Scientific Linux will only install on processors considered i686
and above.  The oldest processors that are i686 are the Pentium Pro, and
the Pentium II.

Troy

Randy Merritt wrote:
> 2+ hours of Web searching has turned up little to this question.  Maybe someone else has wrestled with this.
>
> I have my original SL 4.0 CD's which install and run fine on a new Dell Dimension 2400 deskside.  I have an old Fujitsu Lifebook laptop with a 200MHz Pentium and 96MB of memory and I'd like to load a minimal SL config and Firefox, to use it as a general Web surfing box only.
>
> When I boot the 1st CD of the set the initial boot panel comes up fine but the boot sequence shows 'vmlinuz....<some more dots>...' followed by 'initrd.img....<many dots>....'.  The screen then goes blank and then...the BIOS POST process reruns.  No combination of linux boot options has managed to get past this.
>
> The boot CD copies (into /dev/null) with no errors, so I take it that CD is readable.  I have disabled all the BIOS options the Lifebook's Phoenix BIOS will allow.  To no avail.  Has anyone else installed SL 4.0 on Lifebooks?  Will the install process run in only 96MB memory?
>
> Thanks,
> r.m.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468