SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:20:11 +0100
On 15. des. 2013 20:52, Larry Linder wrote:
> Help:
>
> A number of project guys would like to have a drop box folder to share project
> info with others working on same project.
> Tried to install drop box on SL 5.10 with numerous packages out of date or
> libs not found.
> I there a clean install for this.

Just thinking slightly "out of the box".  Does it have to be DropBox
explicitly?

If not, then I would recommend to have a look at ownCloud.  I believe
there's EPEL packages for it (at least for EL6, but I see you're on EL5).

It's not too hard to setup an ownCloud server (apache + mysql/postgresql
- or nginx+php-fpm instead of apache) and you get control of all the
shared data yourself.  Nothing is hosted outside your own network if you
don't want it to be so.  And there are open source clients for the most
variety of OSes and it seems to work pretty decently.  The functionality
is also pretty much close to what you'll get from DropBox too.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth