SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:44:54 -0700
On 03/10/2015 01:53 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 08:11 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> Apologies if I've jumped in part way and missed something - but
>> fetchmail should do this?
> fetchmail is designed to download from IMAP and inject into the local MTA.  So
> perhaps not what is desired here.

Thank all of you for the suggestions.  I do not have access to a SMTP
server (e.g., a sendmail server) with IMAP; all primary services for our
zone (except for research servers such as compute engines, data stores,
and the like -- but all DNS, SMTP/IMAP, OSPF/RIP/BGP, etc., are not
ours, and our current HTTP server may soon be shutdown and we will be
forced to use whatever server the administrative computing entity
demands) are now demanded by the campus Information Security Officer to
be under the control of the campus administrative computing entity that
is not part of academic affairs.  The administrative computing entity
outsources as much as it can, and uses vendor staff to address and solve
most "major" problems as well as to "assist" (that is, do) systems
configurations.  Almost all of the "servers" used by the administrative
computing entity are VMWare licensed virtual architectures, typically
supporting multiple instances of some version of a MS server.

All of the workstations over which I have root access have VirtualBox
and as all of these are X86-64, a licensed copy of MS Windows 7 Pro
(soon to move to 10, skipping 8x, unless 10 proves to be as awkward as
8x) under VirtualBox, and then MS Windows only applications thereunder
(by MS Windows only, I mean applications that do not exist for Linux
such as the Adobe applications).   Thus putting together a VirtualBox
machine is no additional work, and I can run a MS Win application (such
as has been suggested) to backup IMAP email.

I need an application that will work in practice with an arbitrary MS
Office email system nominally supporting SMTP and IMAP (but most happy
with proprietary MS protocols and clients), will produce a complete and
accurate image of the email that would be visible, including full
headers, in an application such as Linux Thunderbird, and allow me to
keep this image on the Linux side of a client workstation.  The image
should be accessible by Linux tools; using the application, the email
can be restored to the MS server so that it will be accessible to me
using any IETF standards based client I might have on whatever
workstation/laptop I have with me (typically, running Linux).  (I
apologize if some letters are missing -- the keyboard on this laptop is
failing, and a new laptop has not yet arrived -- a spell checker will
accept "a" although the intended word is "as").  Note that because of
campus firewall rules demanded by the Information Security Officer, I
cannot access my office workstation using ssh, etc. -- I cannot read or
write files, or execute commands, other than from the console of my
workstation (not even from another node on campus).  If I need to
transfer files to my laptop (upon which I am now working), I need to use
an email server, the campus proprietary virtualized Blackboard system,
or a removable storage device such as a USB "stick" -- old fashioned
sneaker-net -- because of the firewall access rules.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Yasha Karant