SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2012

Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:33:16 -0500
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Stephen Berg (Contractor)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 12:15 PM, Tom H wrote:

>> IIUC, you're copying the pxe vmlinuz and initrd.img to your remote
>> server's "/boot" and creating a new grub.conf entry to point to these
>> two files and appending "ks=...", "ksdevice=...", "vnc", and
>> "vncpassword=..." to the kernel line.
>>
>> Does helping the network setup with "ip=dhcp" or "ip=<ip-address>
>> past the NIC selection?
>
> Haven't tried that, but I'm kind of skeptical since it still won't know
> which NIC to apply those settings to.  I'll give it a try probably tomorrow
> morning.

You're probably right but I just wanted to take out of the equation
the possibility that you're getting the NIC-choice screen because the
ksdevice wasn't getting enough info to set itself up.

Another idea is that you're using the wrong NIC name. There's an app
developed by Dell (name forgotten sorry) that renames NICs emX or pXpY
(depending on whether they're embedded or in a PCI slot) and the card
that you're choosing as your ksdevice might have been renamed.

>> Someone's already asked you but I have to ask again. Are you *sure*
>> that you aren't using an earlier vmlinuz/initrd.img because there'd
>> been a problem previously with the same symptom that you're
>> experiencing.
>
> Yes, I'm sure they are 6.2 versions.  Even pulled a fresh copy and
> compared.  File size is identical and diff saw no diff.

OK, thanks.

> I've tested this setup on a few different systems.  Three of them have dual
> NIC's and two of those have failed, one has worked without a hitch.  I
> started this thread after the second system failed, but this morning I
> tested on a dual NIC system that is completely different hardware and got
> the success.  So this could be something specific to the hardware setup on
> those two systems, they are almost identical.  I'm gonna play with them a
> bit more to see what I can figure out.
>
> I do know that it works great on a system with a single NIC, I did 3
> installs this way today.  On one MicroWay box (Tyan S2915 motherboard)  that
> has dual on board NICs it took the ksdevice parameter and went through the
> install no problem.

Is the box where your procedure fails a Dell or HP because those are
the two manufacturers, AFAIK, on which the NIC renaming takes place.