SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:33:15 +0000
A quick glance in the 5x/SRPMS/ shows no matching srpm to the binary rpms
in 57/{x86_64,i386}/SL/ though there is one in 5rolling/SRPMS/vendor/
which seems to match in NEVR but appears that it might be the wrong place
unless TUV added it between 5.6 and 5.7...

The reason that I'm looking at this is that for many years we have been
using alpine with a bunch of extra (Chappa) patches, and while this new
rpm is called alpine (with a larger version number!) it is based on
re-alpine which for various reasons does not include all these existing
patches - so from the point of view of our users would be inferior.

After talking to Eduardo Chappa I get the impression that he originally
offered the patches to the re-alpine team but they didn't want them.  On
the other hand they seem to claim that he refused them permission. (sigh!)

Meanwhile re-alpine had an initial burst of activity and now seems
somewhat less active (last release was in October 2010), though there
might well have been commits since then...

Anyway is the alpine-2.02-2.el5.src.rpm from 5rolling/ the right one to
for me to look at?  I've build a test rpm based on that with the extra
stuff we add in, and in trivial testing it *seems* to work for me.

(btw the specfile in that srpm sets alpine to use hunspell as the spell
checker, but none of my sl5 machines have that... though it is a trivial
change to aspell instead...)

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |