SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
"Robert P. J. Day" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert P. J. Day
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:00:41 -0500
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   finally taking the time to dig into upstart, and i'm confused by
> one issue.  on my ubuntu system, the documentation "man 7 startup"
> claims that the primary task on startup is
> /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf, which exists on my ubuntu system.  but on
> SL 6, while the man page reads the same, there is no such .conf file
> in /etc/init, so what is the boot sequence?
>
>   i do see the file /etc/init/rc.conf so i'm sure i can work through
> the sequence but since i want to explain this to some students next
> week, i'd like to find the appropriate doc/man page that explains
> *precisely* what happens.  so what's the process when
> /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf doesn't exist?  and what man page explains
> that?  thanks.

  oh, wait, i just noticed this in /etc/inittab (whose only active
line is to define the default runlevel of 5):

# System initialization is started by /etc/init/rcS.conf

but, again, what man page or doc actually *states* that?  i'd like to
present to the students the sequence of man pages that walks them
through the phases of upstart, but i'm still not seeing what explains
that one step.  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca