SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:27:33 +0200
Am 27.04.2011 22:54, schrieb Alec T. Habig:
> Pablo Cavero writes:
>> The Only that I need is a set of bash script, like script used by the
>> "tomcat", for example, or need a special binary executable??
>> http://www.laliluna.de/articles/tomcat-startup-script-linux.html
>>
>> I want to may will use chkconfig, like an standar service.
>
> The chkconfig script part is easy, just look in /etc/rc.d/init.d, steal
> an existing service's script, and modify it to run what you want.  Note
> the commented line at the top starting with "chkconfig" - that
> information specifies the run levels chkconfig will set it up to be
> activated in, and the startup/shutdown priority.
>
> As for the code you run, that gets trickier.  All the startup scripts do
> is start and stop things.  Those "things" could be more scripts,
> executables, or combinations thereof.  Areas to pay attention to with
> your code (to get it to behave nicely when run this way) include:
> getting it daemonized properly (dropping and/or redirecting IO streams),
> privilege seperation (can it run as a non privleged user?  if so, do
> that, if not, be really careful and have only the bare minimum code run
> with elevated privileges), logging (have it log status information,
> ideally with customizeable log levels, to the appropriate place), and
> signal handling so it shuts down cleanly when told to, reloads
> configuration files if asked, etc.

There is also libdaemon which is meant to facilitate converting your
program into a proper daemon (not tried it, though).  BTW: It is a shame
that SL does not contain the start-stop-daemon like Gentoo or Ubuntu
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dapper/en/man8/start-stop-daemon.8.html).
It makes converting arbitrary executables into daemons a matter of minutes.

Regards,
Florian Philipp