SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:48:51 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>> Hi All
>> I have installed SL 5  with dual booting on my  Acer Aspire 4710 laptop.
>> In Window Vista my wireless network is working fine.It is showing Intel(R)
>> PRO/Wireless 3945BG wireless card.
>> But in linux platform when I try to activate wireless network through
>> network configuration panel it give this error
>> 3c501 device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
>> please suggest that how to proceed to troubleshoot the problem
>> Thanks
>> Kashif
>>
> I think I should also mention that wireless switch on my laptop is not
> working, as its work in windows. I can not on wireless switch

Hi,
The 3945 have to have the 3945 deamon running.  (I didn't write it, Intel did).
Double check to make sure it is turned on during startup.

/sbin/chkconfig --list ipw3945d

If it isn't even installed, then you need to install it

   yum install ipw3945d

If it is installed, but not turned on, then you need to turn it on

   /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 ipw3945d on

And I have always found that it works best with NetworkManager, instead of
setting it up by hand.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group