SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:02:04 +0800
Jan Muhammad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded Xen 3.4.0 and trying to configure it on Scientific Linux 4.7; I wonder where to get a guide or manual to install/configure Xen on step-by-step basis. As on searching google does not give me any help.
>
> Regards
>
> -Jan Muhammad

I think it's not trivial to do the job properly. You need a dom0 (host)
kernel that is compatible with RHEL 4.7 and has the xen patches in it.

When last I checked, xen was not integrated with the standard Linux
kernel. If it is now, it's a post-RHEL5 kernel.

The Fedora project has not supported xen since Fedora 8 (unless it's in
the just-released Fedora 11 or included in an upgrade to Fedora 10).

I would look elsewhere for virtualisation:
1. KVM. It works, it's in the standard Linux kernel, it's part of the
Fedora project and (I think) will be in the next upgrade of RHEL5.
Requires hardware virtualisation. However, you would need to build a
non-standard, recent kernel for SL4.

2. Virtualbox. There are no-charge and free versions. Does not require
hardware virtualisation, but can exploit it.

3. CentOS.
CentOS might already have virtualisation. It's worth checking its site,
and maybe asking on the CentOS list. Whatever they've done, it should
"just work."

Life is easier if you're not tied to SL4.x. SL4 guests are fine, but
your choices are greater if you run a more current host OS.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait