SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Sergio Ballestrero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sergio Ballestrero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:37:24 +0200
 What we (CERN ATLAS Online) do is to have a PXE default config that points back to localboot, and is changed for the specific PC when you want to reinstall. The %postboot of the kickstart then has to contain a call to a CGI (e.g. using wget) that resets the PXE to the default. The same kind of mechanism is used by Cobbler and by Quattor's PXE install system. This is faster than letting PXE timeout.

The Rocks trick is interesting and possibly the safest way to do it. I see it may have the disadvantage that you can't reinstall from remote a PC that is unable to boot - unless your PCs have a "lights-out" remote management that allows you to change the boot order.

Cheers,
  Sergio

--
 Sergio Ballestrero  - http://physics.uj.ac.za/psiwiki/Ballestrero
 University of Johannesburg, Physics Department