SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:08:22 +0200
On 07/24/2013 01:02 AM, g wrote:
> hello pat,
>
> On 07/23/2013 01:17 PM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>> It is not possible to upgrade from the 5x branch to the 6x branch.  A
>> fresh
>> install is required.
>>
>> Pat
>
> i have to disagree with you on this issue.
>
> iirc, my last 5x was 5.9. i first ran "yum update" and then ran "yum
> upgrade",
> both ran with out any problems.
>
> my /etc/reddhat-release shows;
>
>      Scientific Linux release 6.3 (Carbon)
>

> i did not check to insure that all packages are now at 6.3,

And just for this reason it is not recommended to try this. You might
get a system that runs, but you are not sure what exactly you have got.
And one of the days you get strange problems that can not be reproduced
elsewhere. We do not support such systems, and if a user that had done
that form of upgrade reports a problem we tell him to properly
re-install his system first.

> but i would
> presume that they are.

Perhaps they are, perhaps not. You waste much more time debugging
strange issues than you gain by doing a proper install. So why take the
risk?

Matthias