SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:41:29 -0800
My wife did not notice that her laptop was unplugged, and ran the
machine until it quit for lack of power.  Running SL 6.1 IA-32, current
production SL kernel (not elrepo, etc.).  On the reboot with improperly
unmounted partitions, the auto fsck failed, and gave the usual enter
root password or ctrl-D prompt to run fsck manually.  When this
happened, rather than accept the full root password, after the first few
characters, the enter prompt re-appeared, and would never let me get to
a shell.  I finally had to put the install DVD that has the rescue
option into the DVD drive and boot from the DVD, and used fsck -y under
rescue to fsck the partitions from ls /dev/sd*.  The system then
rebooted.  What is wrong?  What do I need to change?

Yasha Karant