SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:29:07 +0100
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 04:37:37PM -0800, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 12:22:23PM -0600, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> Please reread the news coverage and the press releases.
>
> My reading between the lines is that CentOS people were made
> an offer they could not refuse.
>
> BTW, today, whois shows centos.org as registered by Red Hat. (Used to be
> registered by one of the CentOS main developers).

Not specifically meant as an answer to you, but as a comment in general:

Some open source people (a community I consider myself part of, but
not in this sense) tend to act like communists and look at companies
acting in the open source world in a suspicious way (this word has
already been used in this thread), some maybe even think capitalism
is bad in general.

Well, some companies indeed are evil and try to hijack and/or abuse
open source software and its community.

But in general, remember that today's major open source projects
couldn't live without the support from (commercial) companies, where
Red Hat is even one of the main players.  And until now RH has proven
to play the game pretty well.

Without Red Hat there was not Fedora, no RHEL, no CentOS (also not
in the previous incarnation) and no SL.

It's understandable that people around the CentOS community look at
the RH/CentOS case in a critical way: I also did that myself.  But
we have to live with the situation and it's not that bad now.

Just my $0.02...

--
--    Jos Vos <[log in to unmask]>