SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:24:56 -0500
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Jacques Dejean <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently applied some software updates on my SL6 environment.  After the
> process completed, I received notification that there were an additional 456
> updates to be applied.  As some of the updates are not applicable to my

Brother, when was the last time you updated, and what was your base
OS? SL 6.1? Attempting to pick and choose, especially if you start
incorporating third party versions of some compnents, is begging for
pain.

> environment, is there a way to have the "information gathering" process to
> ONLY select the updates which match currently installed software.  When I
> attempt to apply the updates, I get an error --
> "can not add package update for gdk-pixbuf2-2.24.1-5.el6.i686.....".  I ran
> the command "rpm -qa | grep gdk-pixbuf"  and that software is not installed
> in my environment.

Sounds like a dependency. Try making at least a good configuraiton
backup, and then doing "yum check-updates" to get a working list, and
doing one update at a time. I personally do the "devel" packages
first, since they're likely to bring in a bunch of other related
package and make it digestible lumps.

> What do you suggest?

First, do "yum list" to find out which version of "sl-release" you are
using. And do "yum list extras" to see what you may have instlaled
manually from somewhere else. and last, make sure youre "sl-releae"
package is current.