SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:50:57 +0100
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, john h outlan wrote:

> Hello fellow users.....I recently was having problems mounting usb flash and
> HD's in SL 6 x64.  I tried various things and nothing worked, *until* I went
> into the BIOS of my Dell Precision Laptop
> and UNchecked USB 3.0.  Upon reboot to the desktop, my external drives now
> mount and pop right up like they should.  However, before my drives stopped
> working, they were working with USB 3.0 enabled in the BIOS after an
> NTFS-Config install...but suddenly stopped, or at least I noticed them not
> working after 2 days or so; that is until I made the BIOS change.  So I'm
> back in business.  But the questions linger on.
>
> I'm posting this to alert anybody that may be fighting the same thing, as
> well as to learn about USB 3.0 support in the stock kernel.  Is it supposed
> to be supported?  I've not had problems with this in Debian, which has a
> similar kernel time-line.
>
> Thanks for answers and I hope I've stopped someone from banging their head
> on their keyboard ;)

John,

I noticed my RHEL6.1 Beta kernel has a *lot* of fixes for USB 3.0 support,
so it's quite possible that changing to a newer kernel is a solution to
this problem.

Unfortunately, in the past these newer (test) kernels were available from
Red Hat (they still are for RHEL5) but all of those kernels and projects
have disappeared, likely as part of the competition from Oracle and other
distributions using Red Hat's backporting efforts to compete with Red Hat.

     http://people.redhat.com/arozansk/el6/

It's a pity because I used to track those :-(

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/