SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:42:48 -0500
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:00:39 +0000, Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
><snip>
>
>> I don't want to get into a position of maintaining my own kernel.  I'd
>> rather wait until I catch up with 2.6.32 and impose on friends with newer
>> kernels or windows machines in the meantime.
>
>Hi Stephen,
>
>You will have a very long wait. The SL 5.x kernels will remain to be
>based on 2.6.18 until EOL. ;) That is how TUV maintain a stable kernel
>ABI for the life of EL5.

>If you would like to have a SL kernel based on 2.6.32, please install SL 6.x

Right, I really meant "until I go over to SL6".  There are two reasons I
haven't yet: first, up until now, SL5 has been doing everything I've asked
of it and second, I have two machines that I'd like to run the same
operating system on for convenience, and one of them is a non-pae laptop,
that, so far, SL6 won't run on.  However, there is this cool guy named Alan
Bartlett who says on the ELREPO list that he is getting close to producing a
non-pae kernel for SL6 :-) .  So I had been thinking of switching over when
he does.

Regards,

Stephen Isard