SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:39:52 -0800
On 11/12/2011 10:41 PM, Hari haran wrote:
> Dear users,
>            I'm using scientific linux 6.1. Wired network is working
> fine. But I could't detect or connect any wireless networks. My wireless
> adapter is Ralink RT3090 802.11n. The wireless device is working fine
> with windows platform. Please guide me to solve this problem.
>
> with regards,
> Hariharan.

A colleague ran into a problem with a Ralink WNIC a while ago.  Then,
all that was available were proprietary drivers from the vendor that
"contaminate the kernel" (meaning not under the GPL, etc.).  Here is a URL:

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=501

You may need additional assistance if you do not understand how to get a
module loaded into the linux kernel, and certain other configuration issues.

It is possible that Ralink support is available for some linux kernels
and/or distributions, or from some other non-vendor linux repository --
I do not know as I do not have to support any machines with Ralink WNIC
components.

Yasha Karant