SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:32:42 -0500
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Brent L. Bates wrote:

>      We are trying to use an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in our system, Pentium4
> 3.0 GHz, and it doesn't seem to be recognized at all.  We are running
> Scientific Linux 3.0.5 with the 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL.XFSsmp kernel.  I tried
> downloading a RedHat EL3 driver RPM from Adpatec.  The rpm would not load.
>  I'm not sure where to go from here.  We have put other Adaptec SCSI cards
> into the system and they have been recognized and worked with out problems,
> but this new one isn't.  We wanted the newer card for the faster wide buss.
>  Any suggestions on what to do?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>  Thanks.

Is kudzu running?  Try running kudzu by hand to see if it recognizes that
you have inserted new hardware into your system.  If kudzu doesn't see the
new hardware, it's probably a hardware problem.

If kudzu sees it, then the next step is to make sure that the correct
driver is matched to the adapter.  Look at /etc/modules.conf to see what
is aliased to the scsi_hostadapter.  Should be an aic7xxx.  If it isn't,
you can change it by hand.

Good luck!

Ken