SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:44:05 -0600
Hi Michael,
There has been no 'official' word from RedHat, there never is.  But the
word in all the news reports is that they will release it at LinuxWorld,
which is February 14-17.  So it looks like there might be a Valentines
Day release.  (I know that's just what my wife wanted :) )

When will the S.L. 4.x first beta/alpha release be?

That depends on a couple of factors.
The most important is 'When will RedHat release their source?'  If they
are consistent, and release their source code the day they release their
product.  Then our guess is better.
The second is 'Are there any hidden critical gotcha's in their source
code?'  Now we know there is always some hidden gotcha's with each
redhat release, this includes their updates.  The question is are there
any critical gotcha's.  Something that makes it impossible to release.
If there aren't any, then our guess is even better.

So the guess we've said once at Hepix, and we believe this is still true
**  2 weeks after RedHat releases 4 and it's source.  **
It might be earlier, it might be later, but ruffly 2 weeks.

Now this will be an alpha release.  Basically it will just be a
recompile, with all the legal issues taken care of.  (RedHat's name,
graphics, trademarks, etc... removed or left in depending on the license
for the product).  If there ARE any 'gotchas' those gotchas may not be
included. But we want to get it out so it can be tested.

Troy Dawson

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure of the release schedule for RHEL4/SL4 so thought I'd just quickly
> ask here. Does anyone know when RHEL4 will be released? and then following
> that, when would SL4 be released?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468