SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:45:08 +0100
Serguei Mokhov wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Keith Lofstrom<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> This affects us.  Imagine that all the CentOS users show up to use
>> Scientific Linux.  Imagine all their maintainers and developers show
>> up, too.
>
> This is a good thing for SL, isn't it? Increase the user base,
> I am sure Troy and Connie could use some help from the developers,
> and then lead to the world dominance of SL :) This affects us
> positively, IMHO, though perhaps there will be less "competition".

The CentOS Project isn't going anywhere. There is simply an issue
whereby the person who controls the centos.org domain is being
non-responsive and the matter is being dealt with openly. Worst case
scenario, the project would have to flip to an alternative domain but
the developers have made it clear it will continue and that full
contingency plans are in place should they be needed.

If there were only one rebuild project then there would be a single
point of failure should that project then cease. Besides, diversity and
competition are a good thing - each becomes stronger for it.
Collaboration and/or shared knowledge in common areas are also attractive.

Phil
A CentOS and SL user