SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:54:45 +0100
Dear all,

        Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

- I MD5 checked both copies (!) of the DVD that I downloaded to my laptop and neither was correct, and both were different. I downloaded it to a separate (windows XP) computer, burned it from there and tested the media (successfully). It's now installed and (sort of!) working. (Thanks Renato, I'm getting back into the Linux way of things - after a year of no Linux I now have two boxes to play with, one at home one in the office - and I completely forgot about MD5).

(Sorry for all the questions, documentation seems thin)

- Are nVidia drivers supplied or ought I to source them independently? Due to the network policies I won't have an IP address and hence internet connectivity on the box for a few days so installing them off the disk would be ideal. (1280x720 on a 22in 1680x1050 monitor looks like arse)

- It's crashed on me three times (complete hard lock, unresponsive numlock/capslock) each time when opening the system monitor, possibly due to it trying to track 16 CPUs? I've disabled HT for now and the problem seems to have gone away.

- We would have bought it with RHEL but (a) it was indeed cheaper with XP64 AND Vista 64 bit and (b) we want to run XP64 or Vista64 in a VM at some point. The main application of the box is DFT with Spartan 08 but we'll be using the odd bit of (decidedly less CPU intensive) Windows-only software such as Berkeley Madonna.

- If there is any way I can contribute back to the project please let me know, I'm not a programmer in any way/size/shape/form but even if I can help with a little documentation I'd be happy to.

Kind regards,

--
David J. Nelson, J. M. Percy Research Group, WestCHEM
Department of Pure & Applied Chemistry, The University of Strathclyde

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland (SC015263)