SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:10:28 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I can use a usb card, stick or whatever it is called, that provides some
> MB space to store files, and a camera with a usb wire, with no problems
> on my PC and SL 4.4. The OS mounts them automatically.
>
> Perhaps it is some problem with your USB controllers and their drivers?

That is a good point.  I haven't ever had a problem with just a simple
USB flash drive on SL4, generic or not, but there has been some problems
where a USB port get's the wrong USB driver.  Basically where usb-uhci
and ehci-hcd bet mixed up.  But when that happens, you usually can't get
anything to happen with the USB port, not just a drive or two.

There is also another problem that has plagued me with USB drives.  That
is when there are more than one on a USB connection.  This is really
obvious when you have a flash-multicard-reader.  By default, SL 4 will
only see the very first card in the reader, and if there isn't a card in
the first slot, it won't see anything.

If it looks like that is the problem, I do have a web page written with
a little script that run's to see all the cards in a multi-card reader.
https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/multicard.reader.sl4x

And for a couple extra tidbits.
Yes, SL3 really didn't have that great of USB support.  It really
doesn't supprise me when people arn't able to use their USB stuff on it.
  It wasn't non-existant, just not as good as SL4.
SL5 has much better USB support ... or will when it comes out.  I've
tested all my problem USB flash stuff on it, and it's worked great.  So,
whatever it is that Knoppix is doing, must be integrated into SL5 already.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468