SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:35:43 -0500
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hello,
>   I'm about ready to do a fresh install on several servers I run.
> I'm wondering if I should just go with SL304 now, or wait a bit for
> version 4?  Any opinions?  Will there be an upgrade path from SL304 to
> SL4, or will v4 require a fresh install?

A week ago or so we had a vid. conf. with RH regarding RHEL 4.  They
were asked this same question and said that there is no guarantee for
an in-place upgrade between 3 and 4, (depending on what has been
installed), but that it might work.  If you want to attempt it they
recommended first trying with a non-production system which is setup
similar to production systems.

Given that SL is "somewhat similar" to RHEL I assume this same
recommendation applies.

As to install 304 or 4 some of the main differences that I would
consider are kernel and GCC.  4 comes with Linux 2.6 and GCC 3.4.
Since these are servers, the other big change that may be important to
you is the incorporation of SELinux which is turned on by default.

-Brett.