SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Randall Devol <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randall Devol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:24:42 -0700
I was able to harmlessly update the virtualization libraries.  SL is not *hosting* another OS, Parallels on the Mac OSX is the host.  SL is the guest OS and was a fine guest indeed until kernel version 2.6.32-279.1.1.el (and later?) showed up in the repos.

I am now installing CentOS 6.3 to see how it is as a Parallels guest.  I still don't think the best solution is to fix SL.   Stand by...

-=O=- Randy

On Aug 1, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Kevin K wrote:

> VMWare Player doesn't work either.  Stuff I read indicate it is some virtualization library that broke it.  Possibly the same one for parallels.
>
> I just wanted to do a quick install into a virtual machine to test DVD image updates so I didn't have to burn a DVD to test mods to support the Pentium M.
>
> On Aug 1, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Randall Devol wrote:
>
>> I posted this issue first to http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=1803
>>
>> Here is a copy/paste for your convenience:
>>
>>> I have been happily using SL 6.0 for about a year now, happily running on my Mac in a Parallels Desktop virtual environment.
>>> What works:
>>> SciLinux 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jun 18 09:58:35 CDT 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>> xorg-x11-server-Xorg Version : 1.10.6 Release : 1.sl6
>>> Parallels Desktop 7.0.15104(778994)
>>> Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
>>>
>>> About 1 month ago, some updates were issued through one of
>>> epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - i386 6,306
>>> rpmforge RHEL 6.0 - RPMforge.net - dag 4,448
>>> sl Scientific Linux 6.0 - i386 4,630
>>> sl-security Scientific Linux 6.0 - i386 - security updates 2,180
>>> to update the kernel, xorg, MySQL, and a few other applications.
>>>
>>> After a lot of trial and error, I have installed all updates except for:
>>>
>>> kernel.i686 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 sl-security
>>> kernel-devel.i686 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 sl-security
>>> kernel-firmware.noarch 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 sl-security
>>> kernel-headers.i686 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 sl-security