SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:16:10 +0800
Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> What do other groups do about updating applications and machines
> with long running processes ?
>
> My users run two sorts of long running processes, with different
> problems when it comes to updates.
>
> First, I have users who never log off. Thus applications like
> firefox and pdf viewers will be running when they are updated.
> Some time later these applications may try to load and run plugins
> which have been removed/updated.

I never logoff, and rarely reboot anything between power failures. In my
usage (home, small office), I've never felt the need to update to the
latest kernel just because it's there. I did feel the need last year
when CentOS4 (and RHEL I think) had a series of kernels that locked up
after some time on my hardware.

Applying updates and keeping on using the system has never caused a
problem that I've noticed, open shared libraries and such are not
actually deleted until every process has closed them. New versions of
applications get the updated libraries.

Given "binary compatibility" I don't anticipate a problem, except when
there are major updates such as firefox 1,5 to 2.0 or to 3.0.

If an application crashes, I just restart it.

> Second, I have users with long running calculations (often weeks
> or more) which would be interrupted if the machine were rebooted into an
> updated kernel. User-writing code often check-points, so the actual
> calculation time lost is not significant, but calculations in
> commercial packages such as Mathematica and Maple are often less good
> about check-pointing.

Then don't updated them until there is a time available to do so.
Presumably, they're sensibly firewalled and otherwise protected from the
ungodly?

> How do people balance the disruption of killing user processes
> against the need to update to the latest versions of software ?

Updating software is to prevent a problem you might have. In your case,
updating software is more likely to cause grief than prevent it. I'd not
update until I could take the system out of service. After updating,
your systems might need some QA to ascertain they're still fit for service.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait