SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Dec 2011 18:12:43 -0800
On 12/25/2011 06:04 PM, MT Julianto wrote:
> I guess you have lm_sensors intalled.
> Have read this: /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-3.1.1/doc/fancontrol.txt
>
> -Tito.
>

> On 26 December 2011 00:03, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     Is anyone familiar with a HP 8530 laptop?
>
>     In general, or for this model or HP family in particular, how does
>     one control the fan speed?
>
>     To date:
>
>     [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/acpi/fan/FANG/state
>     status:                  off
>     [root@localhost ~]# fancontrol status
>     Error: Can't read configuration file
>

>     I definitely can feel the fan running.  I have removed and replaced
>     the keyboard to get access to the fan so that I could use compressed
>     dusting gas to remove any dust accumulations (a relatively simple
>     procedure for this particular model), and have observed some
>     reduction in running temperature as reported by gkrellm.  Currently,
>     CPUZ is 63 C with a CPU composite load average of approximately 40
>     percent.
>
>     Is there an OS environment (currently, SL 6x) or, for those familiar
>     with these HP machines, a BIOS, mechanism for forcing the fan to
>     maximum?  How does one "fix" /etc/fancontrol, or is this not
>     feasible/useful?
>
>     Yasha Karant

[root@localhost ~]# pwmconfig
# pwmconfig revision 5630 (2009-01-29)
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

end output.

Thus, your suggestion fails (actually, pwmconfig was one of the first
things I tried).  There may be a different version/switch/program that
handles non-pwm sensor modules or there may be such hardware/firmware
modules on this particular computer but these have not been interfaced
to / activated by the OS environment.  How does one discover if pwm
hardware/firmware is present?

NB:  When I first joined this list, I was railed against for
replying/posting to the front of an email/list thread/message (a
practice common with other email correspondence); thus, I am replying to
the end/bottom.

Yasha Karant