SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:48:42 +0200
2009/6/26 Klaus Steinberger <klaus.steinberger at physik.uni-muenchen.de>:
> Troy and Connie are doing a very good job in recompiling the sources from
> RHEL and integrating them into the SL distribution, but besides the
> necessary changes (which Redhat requires to change) and integration of HEP
> Community specific things (like AFS and so on) they just use the Source
> RPM's from Redhat. Please don't forget that two people can't test every
> piece in the distribution, they just can do the best they can do.
> And they do a really good job, and are definitly not responsible for the
> bugs Redhat let slip through.

And they surely do a great job at it. Although SL is based on the
sources from Red Hat Enterprise Linux, there are additional packages
which makes SL great for tweaking (where CentOS doesn't change
anything because they want to be 100% binary equal to RHEL).

No matter what you use, RHEL, SL, CentOS and all RHEL clones, you are
always some steps behind on current software/packages/etc. (because it
isn't beelding edge technology). For example, my own system has a
built in 10-100-1000 networkcard which isn't supported by RHEL, SL,
CentOS, etc. Only by using Fedora (or a Fedora based distro like BLAG)
I can get it to work.

Regards,
Patrick