SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:46:16 -0700
On 10/17/2011 08:09 PM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On 2011-10-17 18:48, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> I am in the process of installing SL 6.1 from the install DVD. Two
>> suggestions:
>>
>> 1. A workaround that will allow installation without an Internet
>> connection for those who chose the DVD that contains the necessary RPMs,
>> albeit not necessarily the latest and greatest. Once installed, and the
>> network is configured, then the usual update mechanism can install the
>> latest and greatest production RPMs for the major release in question
>> (e.g. SL 6). Fortunately, the 5.7 Network Manager interface and data for
>> our residential 802.11 ISP network is close enough to the 6.2 version
>> that I could copy data from a network activated laptop to the laptop
>> upon which the 6.2 installation was being done. It is not that I do not
>> know how to configure to get to the ISP service, but that
>>
>> 2. For a custom package selection, after one hits "next", put up a
>> confirmation box so that one can continue the custom process, rather
>> than moving forward with next -- allowing "back".
>
> Most of the installer's development happens in Fedora. Its entire UI is
> being redesigned right now, so your input may be valuable to them. If
> you're interested in giving feedback I suggest stopping by the #anaconda
> IRC channel on Freenode or sending mail to the anaconda-devel mailing list.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2011-June/msg00072.html
> http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2011/09/26/anacondas-flow/

If joining a Fedora list is required, is there anyone who already is a
member who could post on my behalf?

An enthusiast distribution is what is being used to develop a
production, stable, enterprise installation and certification interface?
  I understand that the enthusiasts can help with the debugging issues,
testing new hardware platforms -- much as MS Windows "production" users
discover the bugs in MS Windows -- but this sort of issue should require
a proper "enterprise" interface.

Yasha Karant