SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:43:05 -0800
There are advantages and disadvantages of the methodology you use.  I
have the following questions:

1.  The SL live CD presumably requires a manual configuration of the
network -- this university uses /22 IPv4 subnets (we have not made the
full conversion to IPv6, although we support IPv6 addresses and most
IPv6 utilities/services) and Network Manager does not seem to be able to
detect this.  Thus, during the SL live CD boot, the network must be
manually configured one machine at a time.

2.  On the target machine, one must repeat step (1) and get past LAN
security (assuming that the machine that contains the tar image is not
on the WAN with additional issues thereby created due to network
security control) to untar / onto the target machine.  Note that (to the
best of my knowledge), tar does not create the MBR (I am being specific
to the IA-32/X86-64 typical boot architecture in this comment) and thus
requires the additional manual steps you outline.  dd of an entire hard
drive does clone the MBR and also effectively does the formatting step
of each partition (we are not using logical volumes, but "old fashioned"
distinct partitions).

You also presume a high throughput network, depending upon the size of
the tar file image, as otherwise the time for getting the tar image can
be substantial.  Whilst the network here is adequate at switched 802.11
100BT, with only limited segments at 1 Gbit/sec or higher bandwidth, the
actual throughput -- as measured -- can be less than 1 Mbit/sec causing
substantial delays.  These workstations are NOT on a 1 Gbit/sec segment,
but only at 100BT, and we (locally) have network issues.  As the
workstations have physical security locks and are cabled through raised
flooring, physically moving the machines to a location with a proper 1
Gbit/sec LAN segment, bypassing the local university security
implementations, VLAN segments, etc., is a significant amount of
physical work.

Am I misstating your methodology?

Yasha Karant