SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:55:33 -0500
John Summerfield wrote:
> Michael Mansour wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>> * Tux Distro ([log in to unmask]) [20070620 20:25]:

>>> Please make it available via other means than BitTorrent as
>>> well (e.g. HTTP and/or FTP).  BitTorrent usage is not permitted
>>> everywhere.  Thank you.
>>
>> I started to download the torrent earlier, it's 911Mb.
>>
>> I'm not sure how many sites will ftp/http host files this large, as
>> ftp/http
>
> Debian Stable's 3x4 Gbyte DVD images, for each of several architectures.
> There are also CD images. Debian also does torrent and jigdo (I think
> jigdo's best, it allows a user-chosen local mirror).
>
>> are very resource hungry (from the server side) and also suffer from
>> download
>> retries when primitive non-retrying clients are used.
>>
>> Bittorrent is the most efficient way to deliver files this large.
>
> Yeah, right.
> My ISP caches the file (or provides it on its downloads site) and Fred
> uses bittorrent do pull it through the ISP's boundaries again. Doesn't
> the ISP just like that.
>
> _I_ looked at opening the firewall to bittorrent and decided it's too
> much trouble, The Boss could not have bittorrent at work.
>
> We are required to control what people at work download. Filesharing
> isn't allowed.

I have put this image on the main distribution site.

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/virtual.images/vmware/50/scientific5.zip
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/virtual.images/vmware/50/README

  or ftp at

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/virtual.images/vmware/50/scientific5.zip
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/virtual.images/vmware/50/README

You might notice it is in the zip format.  That is because zip is part of
Scientific Linux, and Windows.  All I did was unrar it, and then zip it up.
Nothing else was touched.

If anyone has a problem with the README, please let me know if I can better
word things.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group