SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
"Brown, Chris (GE Healthcare)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brown, Chris (GE Healthcare)
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:36:53 +0000
Agreed, NFS is fine when combined with proper ZFS setup for it. Googling around will quickly yield all information on a proper information and setup for ZFS as an NFS server.

Two quick links that do a good job of catching the pertinent details:

http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2010/07/solaris-zfs-synchronous-writes-and-zil-explained

http://christopher-technicalmusings.blogspot.com/2010/09/zfs-and-nfs-performance-with-zil.html

Simply throwing together a test setup and playing with your intended use case and the various combinations (EG: MD/HWRAID,LVM,XFS,EXT4,ZFS)is the best thing I can suggest.

Also do take a look into data I have posted on the mailing lists as well. I have spent an extensive amount of time making sure Linux ZFS + NFS works smooth with development and VM storage we use to build and test HELiOS.

I will note also that some early work with BTRFS (OEL UEK Kernel) has yielded promising performance and stability results recently as well.

- Chris